EduPhil.org Forum
Stock market basics to be included in the curriculum - Printable Version

+- EduPhil.org Forum (http://eduphil.org)
+-- Forum: Education in the Philippines (/education-in-the-philippines-forum.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/general-discussions-forum.html)
+--- Thread: Stock market basics to be included in the curriculum (/stock-market-basics-to-be-included-in-the-curriculum.html)

Stock market basics to be included in the curriculum - admin - 02-08-2009 12:04 AM

Beginning SY 2009-2010, high school students in public schools will include in their studies the basics of stock exchange and capital markets through the Philippine Stock Exchange Module Development Project. Topics which will be part of the integration will include the nature, importance and roles of the Philippine capital market and stock market in nation-building and development. These topics will be integrated into the Economics class in the fourth year.

Please register to see links.

RE: Stock market basics to be included in the curriculum - rvvergara - 02-19-2009 07:46 AM

I believe that instead of Stockmarket trading, students should be taught how to be entrepreneurs. Why? Because stockmarket trading is what I call "non-participative investing". When you put your money in the stockmarket it's like you just bought a lotto ticket and wait what happens to your money. I don't think it's something that you want your kids to learn. On the other hand, if you teach them business, then later on they will be multimillionaires who in turn will have enough skills to buy companies not from the stockmarket but from the company majority shareholders themselves.

Real investors use excessive cashflow from their businesses to invest in Real Estate and even stocks (once in a while). Employees use their salaries to put money in the stockmarket (or even their life savings). When the stockmarket has a downturn (as what happens lots of times) the employees feel the bad effect while the real investors simply shrug it off their shoulders and don't even care (because they still have Passive Income from their businesses).

What's more important is to teach kids to be businessmen in school rather than be employees when they graduate. Our education system (even if it includes StockMarket and Capital Markets as subjects) still teaches you how to be employees.

RE: Stock market basics to be included in the curriculum - birahe - 05-11-2009 03:10 PM

(02-19-2009 07:46 AM)rvvergara Wrote:  I believe that instead of Stockmarket trading, students should be taught how to be entrepreneurs. Why? Because stockmarket trading is what I call "non-participative investing". When you put your money in the stockmarket it's like you just bought a lotto ticket and wait what happens to your money. I don't think it's something that you want your kids to learn. On the other hand, if you teach them business, then later on they will be multimillionaires who in turn will have enough skills to buy companies not from the stockmarket but from the company majority shareholders themselves.

Real investors use excessive cashflow from their businesses to invest in Real Estate and even stocks (once in a while). Employees use their salaries to put money in the stockmarket (or even their life savings). When the stockmarket has a downturn (as what happens lots of times) the employees feel the bad effect while the real investors simply shrug it off their shoulders and don't even care (because they still have Passive Income from their businesses).

What's more important is to teach kids to be businessmen in school rather than be employees when they graduate. Our education system (even if it includes StockMarket and Capital Markets as subjects) still teaches you how to be employees.

You might want to tell them to the marines. Smile

Real investors like the ones who commited suicide in the US amid recession?

Seriously I think a good idea to start with is to teach the young that it is always better not to put one's eggs in one basket. This is a good step based on my personal experience in banking and mutual fund investment.