EduPhil.org Forum
Chess in the curriculum - Printable Version

+- EduPhil.org Forum (http://eduphil.org)
+-- Forum: Education in the Philippines (/education-in-the-philippines-forum.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/general-discussions-forum.html)
+--- Thread: Chess in the curriculum (/chess-in-the-curriculum.html)

Chess in the curriculum - admin - 01-20-2009 02:00 PM

Starting school year 2009-2010, chess will be integrated into the curriculum. The National Chess Federation of the Philippines claimed that chess in the curriculum will have benefits for academics. Regional director James Infiesto cited a Texas study where regular (non-honors) elementary students who participated in a school chess club showed twice the improvement of non-chess players in Reading and Mathematics between third and fifth grades on the Texas Assessment of Academic Skills. Other studies cited were the following:

A New Brunswick, Canada, study, using 437 fifth graders split into three groups, experimenting with the addition of chess to the math curriculum, found increased gains in math problem-solving and comprehension proportionate to the amount of chess in the curriculum.

The Venezuela “Learning to Think Project”, which trained 100,000 teachers to teach thinking skills, and which involved a sample of 4,266 second grade students, reached a general conclusion that chess, methodologically taught, is an incentive system sufficient to accelerate the increase of IQ in elementary age children of both sexes at all socio-economic levels.

Infiesto further noted that chess is in the curriculum of around 30 countries.

Reference: Please register to see links.

My comments:

Instead of streamlining the curriculum, here we are adding yet another thing to be "integrated". It does not matter if learning chess is positively correlated to academic performance. The truth of the matter is that our curriculum is too crowded right now, and we should be removing and and not adding to it. Also, just because chess is in the curriculum of nearly 30 countries does not necessarily make it right to include it in the Philippine curriculum.

(P.S. My high school PE grades came solely from my being a member of the chess team.)

RE: Chess in the curriculum - SheMi - 01-20-2009 02:15 PM

i agree.
our DepEd should not be copying curriculums from other countries bec. education doesn't have a "one size fits all" theory.
DepEd should be researching within our Phil.schools and students and find solutions within our country and not copying other countries.

i think having a chess club in a school is enough.

we should invite people from depEd to join our forum so those working there who are non-educators can see a glimpse of a teacher's life.

RE: Chess in the curriculum - admin - 01-20-2009 02:25 PM

As always, the one with the strongest push gets the pie. This is what is happening in Philippine education. The organized sectors gets their share of school time, even if they don't have sufficient research backing for their concepts. Meanwhile, truly important topics and subjects like the local languages and the history of the student's region don't get any share.

I still have to research though how this "integration" will occur - does it mean that there will be specific subject? Or, if integrated in PE, how much time will be allotted to it?

RE: Chess in the curriculum - admin - 01-23-2009 06:19 PM

The implementation is laid out in [url=http://www.ziddu.com/download/13919657/depedmemo1s.2009-relativetochess.pdf.html
]DepEd Memorandum No. 1, s. 2009[/url].

The memo claims that global studies have shown chess to improve individual organizational and analytical skills. Chess is adopted as another strategy to promote the development of higher order thinking skills and values among Grades 3-6 children in the subject Edukasyon sa Pagpapalakas ng Katawan. Chess will also be continuously used at the secondary level as part of PE.

The memo looks vague and unconvincing.

RE: Chess in the curriculum - admin - 04-29-2009 12:35 PM

This April 30, 2009 (Thursday) will be the MOA signing between the Department of Education and the National Chess Federation of the Philippines, as well as the launching of the National Chess Academy. Pres. PGMA will be present, as well as DepEd Secretary Jesli Lapus and NCFP President Prospero Pichay. The venue will be Bulwagan ng Karunungan, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City. The activity will start at 8:00 A.M. (the original announcement here was 10:30 A.M.).

Chess will now be integrated in the basic education curriculum of Grades 3-6 and High School 1-4. It is to promote the development of higher order thinking skills and values among the students.

Photo opportunities available. For more information or to confirm your attendance, please contact Ella Romblon-Arienda at 633-7206 or Kenneth Tirado at 637-4933.

(via DepEd Communications Unit)

Here's an article on why chess: Please register to see links.

RE: Chess in the curriculum - mnemosyne - 04-29-2009 02:50 PM

this is good news. i myself doesn't know how to play chess. Undecided

RE: Chess in the curriculum - admin - 05-01-2009 11:49 AM

Pasay City - The Department of Education (DepEd) and the National Chess Federation of the Philippines (NCFP) have signed a memorandum of agreement (MOA) which calls for the training in chess of DepEd officials by grandmasters belonging to the NCFP. This is part of the move to institutionalize chess in public elementary and high schools.

The MOA targets a 90-percent chess literacy in the Philippines. It also aims to regain Philippine chess supremacy in Asia.

Lapus cited studies which have shown that chess improves individual organization and analytical skills. Children when exposed to this game at an early age achieve academically better or even faster than those who have not been engaged in the same game.

The event also established the National Chess Academy (NCA) which will serve as the training venue for chess teachers, coaches and arbiters. NCA will hold office at De La Salle University under the supervision of NCFP Vice-President and Former CHED Chairman Rolando Dizon, FSC. The Executive Director is Bong Belen, whose school in Tanauan, Batangas, the First Asian Institute of Technology and Humanities (FAITH) will be the main training center.

Starting May 2009, Grandmaster Bong Villamayor will head a team of trainors who will provide training for 195 DepEd Chess Coordinators and School Coordinators who will be sent by their respective schools.

A three-day seminar workshop will be given, after which a Certificate of Chess Competence will be awarded to those who successfully pass a Competency Test to be administered by the NCFP through the NCA.

Chess will be implemented effective October of SY 2009-2010 in grades 3-6 (Edukasyon sa Pagpapalakas ng Katawan) and at high school 1-4 (Physical Education), as stipulated in DepEd Memorandum No. 1, s. 2009.

(via DepEd Communications Unit)

RE: Chess in the curriculum - heavensent - 05-02-2009 10:59 PM

uh-huh? well, i am an advocate of benchmarking. however, i am also a believer that every learner has his/her learning style...to improve performance in redaing and in math, i believe that teachers should be aware that the classroom is a bundle of diversity, thus various strategies and techniques should be used to address every learner's need.Undecided

RE: Chess in the curriculum - admin - 05-04-2009 08:22 AM

Uhum, but how would that justify "mainstreaming" chess?