EduPhil.org Forum
Tutorials - Printable Version

+- EduPhil.org Forum (http://eduphil.org)
+-- Forum: Teachers' Corner (/teachers-corner-forum.html)
+--- Forum: Teacher and Teaching Discussions (/teacher-and-teaching-discussions-forum.html)
+--- Thread: Tutorials (/tutorials.html)

Tutorials - 214 - 07-12-2010 10:15 AM

Do you have tutorials in your school?

Where do you tutor? At home or in school?

Does your principal allow you to tutor students from your school as long as he/she is not your own student (student belonging to a section you're handling)?

RE: Tutorials - admin - 07-12-2010 11:21 PM

We used to have, but it has been removed.

It was a good way to add to one's income before. I remember I was bringing in an additional 1,500 every week, plus goodies during Christmas.

We did it in school. Previously the school asked payment for the use of facilities, but during the one year the tutorial was still allowed (during my first year in the school), they did not ask for any payment.

Since we have three departments (primary for grades 1-3, intermediate for grades 4-7, and high school), the rule was simple: you cannot tutor students in the same department. Exceptional cases were allowed (in case no one could really tutor the students, a teacher from the same department would do), but it must be cleared with one's head teacher, and it is never possible to have a student in any of your subjects to be your own tutor, even if you are tutoring him in another subject.

RE: Tutorials - 214 - 07-13-2010 04:45 PM

Searched DepEd and got a memorandum from 1977 prohibiting teachers to tutor own students.

The phrase "own student" is contested here in our school.

To some: "Own Student" simply refers to students in a section you're handling. Meaning, teachers are not allowed to tutor students belonging to a section you're handling the current academic year.

To others: "Own Student" refers to students enrolled in our school the current academic year. If that's the case then we really are prohibited on tutoring any student enrolled in our school.

I already emailed DepEd to clarify this phrase or if there's a revised memorandum on this since the last memo on tutorial was on 1977.

We are looking for legal basis of tutoring before talking to our immediate heads.

Before, we were allowed to tutor also but beginning this school year, tutoring in our school was abolished.

RE: Tutorials - admin - 07-13-2010 11:08 PM

As a rule, if your administrators would prohibit something, unless they are prohibited from prohibiting it, they are allowed to prohibit it.

So I think your administrators have the legal side with them re tutorials in your school Smile

RE: Tutorials - 214 - 07-16-2010 07:29 AM

That really is administrators prerogative...

RE: Tutorials - =[Edukador]= - 07-16-2010 04:54 PM

Either way, tutoring was practiced in my child's school last year. But when parents queried about this why teachers tutor their own students for a fee, this was immediately stopped.

Questions raised were: "What kind of teacher are you if you tutor your student for a fee? What kind of school you run if you tutor your students for a fee? Why should parents pay the tuition anyway? blah blah blah ...

The school stopped asking for tutoring fees the next school year. Hence, tutoring of students is now done by private educators; often College students in the nearby TEI.

RE: Tutorials - alizageorge - 10-11-2010 08:35 PM

A tutorial is a method of transferring knowledge and can be used as part of learning. More interactive and more accurate than a book or a lecture, a tutorial designed to teach by example and provide the information to perform a given task.

RE: Tutorials - Mommyjj - 01-31-2017 11:07 PM

Hello po.. pa help po ako.. pinagbabawal pa din po ba ng depEd amg magtutor ang isang guto sa isang studyante na kung saan ay Subject teacher rin nya po ito?..

Pls po need your answers.. thank u in advance po..

RE: Tutorials - acastillobauto - 09-01-2017 12:06 AM

hi can anyone share me this 1977 memorandum . Thank you very much Smile

RE: Tutorials - MommyM - 10-10-2018 10:53 PM

Please enlighten me.

What are the rules regarding tutoring Top5 students of the school. Tutor is a teacher of the same school. (Not a subject teacher of the student)
Service is offered outside the school premises. (But within 50m range)

BTW. Im from a private school.
Thanks