EduPhil.org Forum
What is UbD? - Printable Version

+- EduPhil.org Forum (http://eduphil.org)
+-- Forum: Teachers' Corner (/teachers-corner-forum.html)
+--- Forum: Understanding by Design in Philippine Context (/understanding-by-design-in-philippine-context-forum.html)
+--- Thread: What is UbD? (/what-is-ubd.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

What is UbD? - admin - 06-07-2010 01:06 PM

Understanding by Design (UbD) is a curriculum framework, that is, it is a way of looking at a curriculum. It offers a three-stage, backward process to curriculum design.

It is not a curriculum by itself, so technically, to say 'UbD curriculum' is wrong; instead we can say 'UbD-ized curriculum' (that is, a curriculum which is designed using the UbD process).

As far as I can tell, UbD came up to address two majors concerns:
1.) teachers are too focused on testing, even if research suggests that not all understanding can be captured via paper-and-pencil tests;
2.) students are not learning at all, perhaps because of #1.

Let's discuss no. 1. What is wrong with paper-and-pencil tests? Basically, they do not capture all understandings that a student must have. That is, just because a student gets a 100% in the test does not mean that he really understood the subject, and, in the same manner, just because a student gets a 0% in the test does not mean that he does not understand any thing about the subject. In this manner, the UbD framework calls for ways to better capture and diagnose student understandings and misunderstandings. Note, however, that the UbD framework does not mean that paper-and-pencil tests are out: they will still be here; it's just that we have to add more ways to 'test' a student.

UbD is a backward-design process because you have to start with what you really want the students to understand. That is, you have to identify what understandings your students must get from your subject, before identifying activities to help students get those understandings.

RE: What is UbD? - admin - 06-07-2010 01:26 PM

From the website:

Quote:Understanding by Design — a framework for designing curriculum, assessments, and instruction explores questions like: What is teaching for understanding? How can you unpack content standards to identify the important big ideas that you want students to understand? How do you know that students truly understand and can apply their understanding in a meaningful way? How can you design courses and units to emphasize understanding rather than coverage? What instructional practices are both engaging and effective for developing student understanding?

RE: What is UbD? - visyel - 06-08-2010 05:02 PM

Seems like many teachers are having a hard time in UNDERSTANDING this curriculum framework called "UNDERSTANDING BY DESIGN". I mean, it's quite easy to comprehend when people describe a UbD framework, but then when teachers try to apply the framework in their classrooms, they are somehow puzzled and are still having difficulty in making it work for them and the students.

Perhaps proponents of this framework should use UbD framework in helping most teachers to UNDERSTAND it.Wink

I am a fresh graduate and UbD was just introduced to us during the last quarter of our school-year. I suppose I still need to really understand it before being able to apply it successfully. I have just tried using it once, and with a group, but I'm not so sure if we did right. We may be needing more understanding in using UbD so it'll be just as great for both teachers and students/pupils.

I'm not against the idea of adapting the framework. In fact, I want to learn more about it and I want to ensure that I'll be doing it right the next time.

RE: What is UbD? - admin - 06-08-2010 08:08 PM

Hello visyel and welcome to EduPhil.org. Please do introduce yourself at our Introductions subforum: http://eduphil.org/forum/newthread.php?fid=42

I agree with you that most teachers are having a hard time understanding the Understanding by Design curriculum framework. It seems that UbD is not designed to be easily understood Smile

However, as I understand it, there is actually very little changes in the way classes are run by teachers once they adapt the UbD framework. Or at least those teachers who are actually using UbD, but are not aware of it. From the way I've understood it, the focus of UbD is simply to get away from the mindless, purposeless activity that so characterize many teachers' classes.

I was initially opposed to UbD, primarily because of my misunderstandings about it. But after I've read the book, I realized that indeed UbD may be the answer to the woes of Philippine education.

I hope to see you more often in the forum. BTW, your blog is funny Smile

RE: What is UbD? - visyel - 06-12-2010 06:31 PM

Thanks for the compliment. I haven't visited and updated it for quite a long time. Big Grin

What's the title of that book? And the author? Smile

RE: What is UbD? - admin - 06-13-2010 04:40 AM

I'm referring to the original Understanding by Design book, by Wiggins and McTeigh Smile Jay has posted the links here.

RE: What is UbD? - potter_2005 - 06-15-2010 09:32 AM

is UBD apply in all level from elem to hi school?

RE: What is UbD? - admin - 06-15-2010 10:31 AM

Per DepEd memo, only to the first year in high school. Some schools, however, have applied it to all levels.

RE: What is UbD? - visyel - 06-16-2010 02:17 PM

Do you have a copy of the DepEd memo?

(06-15-2010 10:31 AM)admin Wrote:  Per DepEd memo, only to the first year in high school. Some schools, however, have applied it to all levels.

RE: What is UbD? - rod_magsi14 - 06-16-2010 02:33 PM

Here's the link of the DepEd Memo... Please register to see links.

Smile Smile Smile

(06-16-2010 02:17 PM)visyel Wrote:  Do you have a copy of the DepEd memo?

(06-15-2010 10:31 AM)admin Wrote:  Per DepEd memo, only to the first year in high school. Some schools, however, have applied it to all levels.